Six miles from Baldwyn on Mississippi Hwy 370 W. lies the Brice's Crossroads National Battlefield where Confederate cavalry under the command of General Nathan Bedford Forrest defeated Union troops and forced their withdrawal to Memphis.
A one-acre site maintained by the National Park Service features a monument and two cannons. Adjacent to the battlefield is the Bethany Cemetery where 95 Confederate soldiers are buried. All but one are identified. An additional 1,400 acres surrounding the one-acre site has been purchased for preservation. Newly paved trails and signage explain battle lines and troop movements. Development is underway in four phases. Granite markers along Highway 370 describe the battle.
Four miles east of the battlefield site on Grisham Street, adjacent to Hwy 45 in Baldwyn, is the Brice's Crossroads Visitors and Interpretive Center. The center offers an interpretive exhibit featuring Civil War artifacts, a battlefield diorama and interactive exhibits. A 22-minute video program with an introduction by Civil War historian and author Shelby Foote is available to orient visitors to the battle. On the Center grounds, a memorial of flags highlights the sacrifice of soldiers from many states, both North and South, who fought at Brice's Crossroads.
On June 10, 1864, the Union Army initiated the Battle of Brice's Crossroads with one objective - to make it impossible for Confederate General Nathan Bedford Forrest to interfere with General William T. Sherman's railroad supply line from Nashville to Chattanooga durning the Atlanta campaign. Union troops, under General Samuel D. Sturgis, marched out of Memphis to hold Forrest in Northeast Mississippi. Outnumbered more than two to one, Forrests's men routed the Union troops. The battle was considered a major tactical victory for the Confederacy. Events "Children's Discovery Day and " Living History" are held annually in June each year.
A living history and reenactment of the battle is held annually on the anniversary weekend.